Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The MTC is the place TO BE!


I applied to work at the MTC exactly one week ago. To apply, I had to fill out a little part online, do a language evaluation over the telephone, and then go in and teach two RM's that work there at the MTC. I prepared a little lesson from Preach My Gospel, and spent several hours studying and trying to organize my thoughts and everything. My problem was that I prepared a lesson that could have lasted at least 30 minutes, but I was only allowed 10 to teach.

So when I got in there to teach, I felt like I only got to share a tenth of what I wanted to. And there was a really cool activity I was going to have them do from Preach My Gospel, but I just ran out of time. I felt like it could have gone much better and wished that I had condensed my lesson before and maybe even practiced it on someone once so that I would realize that there was no way that I could fit all of the stuff I prepared into ten minutes! Oh well...at least the language evaluation seemed to go pretty well. It is hard for me to know how good my Tagalog really is, but I feel like it is adequate.

Being a teacher at the MTC has become my dream job. Even though I would make half of what I could make as a nurse, I just want to teach there SO BADLY. I can't think of any other job right now that is available to me that would make me happier. When I go to the MTC, I just feel different. I feel so happy and suddenly I just get this enthusiasm and positive energy in me. Maybe I will get the job, and maybe I wont...but I have been praying real hard that I do because I feel like I could really make a difference for those missionaries. Only time will tell...

So, while I was in Provo, I found out which night the Tagalog speaking missionaries teach volunteers in the TRC. It is Wednesday night. So I went and volunteered the whole night! It was so FUN! I wish I lived in Provo so that I could volunteer to be taught every single week. I was so impressed with their Tagalog skills...I feel like I wasn't that good when I was in the MTC! The common theme was prayer, so I had about 4 different sets of missionaries teach me about prayer and I LOVED IT. I decided the best part was when they were sharing their testimony. Just plain teaching without sincere testimony, is not very effective...but when those missionaries were trying so hard to say what they really felt and knew in their hearts, it was super powerful and I felt the Spirit! This one Elder told me that he was a convert, he was only baptized a year and a half ago. SO COOL!

The other awesome thing that happened while I was waiting to volunteer was my two companions showed up to volunteer as well and I had no idea that they were coming! I was so excited to see them because I haven't seen them since the mission! It was Sister (Diane) Stewart and Sister (Chanelle) Martinez. It was a fun little reunion. Especially because we were in a threesome together. Good memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment