Tuesday, September 11, 2012

London

I was able to do a quick trip to London last weekend. Unfortunately, I had to go alone...so it made for a lonely couple of days however I still enjoyed London very much.

I flew with easyjet and it cost about 150$ round-trip. I stayed in a hostel for about 25$ a night (Friday and Saturday nights) and on Sunday I stayed with two sweet YSA that I met at church. There were eight women in my hostel room (four bunk-beds) and only one bathroom, so I made sure that I got up early enough each morning to get my bathroom time! They did offer a complimentary breakfast consisting of cereal, yogurt, and toast. Overall, I wasn't too impressed- but it was a place to sleep and it was fairly cheap.
Poor soldier has to stand there and get his picture taken with all the crazy tourists that come by...
These telephone booths are all over the city and still very much in use. Also, seeing people driving on the left side of the road was so strange!
There was more than one person who called me "darling" and I love how they call trash "rubbish".

 Trafalgar Square
I actually really liked this guys music. He had a good style.This was in the "tube" (or the underground railway). I wish I had taken more video of him.

 Check out these suit combos!
 Changing of the Gaurds
 Buckingham Palace



The Clock Tower

 I went on a really awesome "walking tour" and we got to see many of the famous buildings and monuments around London. Our tour guide was super animated and entertaining, so I really enjoyed it. It was nice to get a little bit of history on everything and also to hear some fun stories and interesting facts. The tour lasted about 3 hours!

 I was so disappointed that I couldn't go through. I think I'm just a bit too late....the school year already started. I'll have just have to come back again next year. ;)

 Of course, their are about a million shows playing in various theaters in the London's center. I finally decided to see "Matilda" because it is fairly new and I had heard great things about it. I was not disappointed. It was a wonderful production. The music was incredible!



 I also saw a show called the 39 steps. It was very well done. In contrast to "Matilda", this show was not a musical, only had 4 people in the cast (who played several different roles through out the show) and was a real comedy. I enjoyed it very much.


 The church!
This is Katelyn and Wendy. They are the two ANGELS that took care of me on Sunday. They were seriously so incredibly sweet. I didn't have to ask for one thing because they were so quick to offer everything and anything I could possibly need. (Food, a towel to shower, directions to get to my bus stop, etc.) I stayed at their apartment in Hamstead on Sunday night and woke early on Monday morning (4:15am) to catch the bus to the airport. I will never forget these girls!

It was fun to be in London, but while I was there I came to the conclusion that, although these famous buildings, monuments, squares and streets are beautiful and impressive....I would much rather prefer to see mountains, gardens, trees, and green rolling hillsides. And the city is a nice place to visit...but I will always be a country girl.

2 comments:

  1. 1. I'm the same way. Not a city mouse at all. Not one bit. Though I wouldn't call myself a "country girl" just a small town girl who loves the mountains.

    2. Those theater signs are awesome!

    3. The lady in the background of this picture:

    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4C6InS7WTBY/UE-cP_7dGgI/AAAAAAAABxE/RRiR1DWmoO8/s1600/DSC09342.JPG

    looks like mom. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4. You should've caught a ride in an invisible flying car. Everybody knows that's what you do when you're too late for the train!

    5. You're adorable

    ReplyDelete